If you are running SmartScan on Zebra Enterprise Browser, you can print movable unit (MU) labels directly from your device to a nearby Zebra or ZPL printer. This article reviews how to print MU labels from your SmartScan device.
Skip Ahead: Use the following links to navigate to the relevant guidelines below.
Step 1: Connect device to printer
Before you can start printing MU labels, you must connect your SmartScan device to a nearby printer through WiFi, bluetooth, or USB.
- Log in to SmartScan.
- Tap the hamburger icon in the top-right of the application, then select Settings > Print.
- From the 'Connection Type' drop-down menu, select how you're connecting to the printer's network. Once selected, SmartScan searches for available printers.
- Tap the 'Printer' drop-down menu, then select the printer you'd like to use—you can identify each printer by its unique serial number and IP address. Once selected, the printer's serial number populates in the field, and this printer remains as a permanent option within the drop-down list.
- Optional: To ensure that you are connected to the correct printer and labels will print as expected, tap Print a Test Label.
- If you want system-assigned MU labels to print automatically during the receiving process, tap Receipt under 'Auto-Print Events'. Note: 'Pack Complete' is not currently supported.
- Tap Close to return to the SmartScan homepage. The selected print settings will apply each time you sign in to your SmartScan account.
Once you connect your device to a printer, the selected print settings will not display when you return to this menu, even though the settings were initially saved. This is a known issue that will be fixed in the coming weeks.
Step 2: Print MU labels
After you connect your SmartScan device to a printer, you can print both predefined and system-assigned MU labels from the Receipts module. In addition to displaying the license plate and barcode, each MU label includes the customer, transaction ID, and reference number associated with the receipt.
To get started, tap Receipts, then open a receipt that requires printing of one or more MU labels.
- If you have auto-printing enabled for receipts, system-assigned MU labels print as soon as you save a new line item on a receipt or save the actual quantity of a line item when receiving against an ASN.
- To manually print an MU label, tap the Print icon on the MU grid row to send the label straight to the connected printer. Repeat for each MU as needed.