The Settings page in the Small Parcel Space allows you to manage your SmartParcel configuration. This article reviews each component of the Settings page in the Small Parcel Space.
Skip Ahead: Use the following links to skip ahead to the relevant guidelines below.
To access the Settings page within the Small Parcel Space, click Settings from the side navigation menu.
Once there, select a customer from the drop-down menu. Continue reading below to learn about each section.
The Carrier Accounts section allows you to connect new carrier accounts, manage existing carrier accounts, and create carrier-based markups.
- To learn how to connect a new carrier account, follow the instructions in our Connecting a Carrier Account to SmartParcel (and ignore the step to navigate to Admin > Manage Carrier Accounts).
- To learn how to manage an existing carrier account, see Managing Carrier Accounts (and ignore the step to navigate to Admin > Manage Carrier Accounts).
Markups allow you to pre-set a percentage-based or flat rate adjustment to the shipping charge provided by the carrier, which is automatically applied at the time a shipping label is printed.
To create a carrier-based markup fee, click Markup.
This opens the Carrier Markup dialog, which lists each carrier that you've connected to SmartParcel for this customer.
- To create a 'Default Markup' that applies to each of a carrier's ship services, enter a 'Markup Percent' or 'Markup Flat Rate' as needed.
- To create a ship service-specific markup fee that overrides the default markup, click the plus button, select the ship service from the 'Service Level Override' drop-down list, then enter a 'Markup Percent' or 'Markup Flat Rate' as needed. Repeat for each service that requires a different markup fee.
- To delete a 'Service Level Override' markup, click the minus button.
- Repeat for each carrier as needed, then click Save. The saved markups then populate in the appropriate columns of the Carrier Accounts grid.
Parcel Data Handling
The Parcel Data Handling section allows you to specify whether you want to enable charge returns for freight fees, as well as the customer's USPS provider.
- Include Shipping Cost: When checked, enables SmartParcel to return shipping costs for each order that contains prepaid freight fees
- Shipping costs are typically returned to customers when shipping with a warehouse account. As an additional option, you can also mark these charges up by a flat rate or a percentage (reviewed in the section above).
- Please note that when billing third-party, SmartParcel cannot return shipping costs.
- USPS Third-Party Connection: Specifies whether customer is using Endicia or Stamps.com as their USPS label provider
- The correct designation of this field is required for each customer shipping with USPS via SmartParcel.
- Connecting a USPS customer account to SmartParcel automatically selects an option for you.
- Changing this option removes the carrier information on any active order in which USPS is selected as the carrier and requires you to re-define that information. This can be quickly adjusted on the Find Orders page via Manage > Edit Carrier and Routing for one or more orders.
- If you are not shipping with SmartParcel, leave as 'Not specified'.
The General Options section is used to define several SmartParcel settings related to international billing, reference fields, and processing.
- International Duty Bill Type: Defines the party responsible for paying taxes and duties on any international order sent from the specified customer
- Bill Sender: The shipper pays the taxes and duties
- Bill Recipient: The recipient pays the taxes and duties
- Label Reference 1–3: Allows you to specify additional data points to include on a shipping label
- Please note that different carriers have different rules regarding reference fields—e.g., UPS allows for two fields and refers to them as REF1 and REF2, while FedEx allows for three reference fields and refers to each field by the intended value.
- Process High-Volume by Default: When checked, High-Volume is automatically selected as the 'Process As' value for this customer in the Pack and Ship dialog
The Returns section allows you to specify which services are used in the event of a return, as well as the return address you want to utilize for this customer's labels.
- FedEx Return Service: Specifies which FedEx service level is used for FedEx returns
- UPS Return Service: Specifies which UPS service level is used for UPS returns
- USPS Return Service: Specifies the type of return when shipping with USPS—by default, the 'Priority' service level is used for USPS returns
- Standard Return: Bills the account the moment the label is printed by USPS
- Pay On Use: Bills the account once the return label is scanned and shipped by USPS (not supported unless configured through Endicia)
The remaining fields are used to specify what populates as the Ship From address on a shipping label for this customer, as well as the Ship To address listed on a return label in the event of a return. If no contact information is listed here, SmartParcel uses the facility's address defined in the WMS under Warehouse > Manage Warehouse.
The Rate Shopping section is used to configure the logic required to rate shop.
- Select each carrier you would like to enable for rate shopping.
If you want to rate shop for DHL eCommerce services, you must reach out to your DHL representative to enable API access for 3PL Central.
- Click Add to open the Add Auto Rate Shopping Rule dialog.
- Enter a Ship Service Keyword.
In the image above, "Prime" is an example value. To rate shop an order from the Small Parcel homepage, the 'Ship Service Keyword' must match the value inserted in the order's 'Service' field. Note this value cannot be an existing service level for any carrier.
- Select a Rate Type from the drop-down list, then click Save.
- Overnight – Cheapest: The cheapest overnight rate available
- 2nd Day – Cheapest: The cheapest overnight or 2nd day rate available
- 3rd Day – Cheapest: The cheapest, overnight, 2nd day, or 3rd day rate available
- Cheapest: The cheapest rate available with a known delivery date
- Cheapest – Independent of Delivery Date: The cheapest rate available regardless of delivery date
Once rate shopping is fully configured for a customer, you can assign rates to orders on the Small Parcel homepage. Ensure that the relevant ship service keyword is defined in the 'Service' field of each relevant order, select the order(s) from the grid, then click Manage > Shop Cheapest Rate.
The option to "manually" rate shop for one order at a time will be available within the Pack and Ship dialog in the coming weeks.