Intended primarily for ecommerce fulfillment, a pick-to-bin process allows you to batch pick groups of orders that share common SKUs. Pick-to-bin leverages special carts that contain a specific number of bins, each of which will hold the contents of a particular order. Once picked, each bin can be quickly packed and prepared for small parcel shipment.
To prepare for the pick-to-bin process, you must first have carts and uniquely barcoded bins set up in your warehouse. There is no bin configuration necessary in 3PL Warehouse Manager or SmartScan.
Once a bin is associated with a picked order, you can use that barcode to populate the order in SmartScan's Pack module or on the SmartPack page in 3PL Warehouse Manager until the order is shipped and closed. Once that order is closed, the bin can be re-used for another order.
The following diagram displays a general layout of the pick-to-bin process.
Once a pick job is created in 3PL Warehouse Manager, you will utilize SmartScan to complete the batch pick. This article reviews how to complete a pick-to-bin process with SmartScan.
- Log in to SmartScan.
- Ensure the appropriate 'Warehouse' is selected from the drop-down list, then tap the Pick module. Note that the number displayed reflects the amount of orders available to pick.
- Tap Pick to Bin.
- The orders available to pick will appear based on priority. To begin the order shown, tap Start Pick.
- To skip to the next prioritized order, tap Skip Pick. Once all orders are skipped, there will be an option to 'Reset Pick' to the beginning of the list of pick jobs.
- If a specific location is associated with the pick job, SmartScan will direct you to proceed to that location.
- The Pick SKU/UPC dialog box will open. Scan the 'Location' and 'SKU/UPC' for the first item, as well as any required track-by's, such as Lot Number or Serial Number.
- Enter the 'Quantity', then scan the 'Bin' barcode.
After you scan a unique bin number for the first time, SmartScan will validate that bin ID for any additional items going into the same bin. Please note that the bin will be associated with the order until it is fully packed, and you cannot use the same bin for more than one order at a time.
- Done. The line item will show a green check to indicate the inventory has been picked.
- Repeat Steps 5–7 until all items are picked. If you have multiple pages of line items to pick, tap one of the green arrows to navigate to the next or previous page of line items.
To unpick an item, select the appropriate line item, then tap Unpick SKU. Repeat the pick as needed.
- Once you have completed the pick job, tap Finish Pick. A confirmation message will appear.
If you were unable to pick all items associated with the pick job and you have the 'Force Pick Complete' permission applied to your user role, the application will allow you to pick the partial inventory and prompt you to specify a reason. Once selected, tap Complete and you will receive the confirmation message.
Now that the pick is complete, the Pick Done Date column will populate with the appropriate data in the Find Orders grid and the orders will display in the Pack module.