To use GS1 self-defining barcodes with SmartScan, you must have already configured your barcodes with GS1—if you have not done so, please see their Get Started Guide. Please note that it is the product owners' responsibility to register with GS1 and label in accordance to the standard.
The GS1 data elements that SmartScan currently supports, as well as their respective AI and specs, are as follows:
- UPC or GTIN, AI 01 – fixed length value, no FNC1 needed
- SKU or Part Number, AI 241 – variable length, FNC1 required
- Lot, AI 10 – variable length, FNC1 required
- Expires, AI 17 – fixed length value, no FNC1 needed
- Serial, AI 21 – variable length, FNC1 required
These guidelines review the process for entering the relevant UPC value for an item, but if you have already set up the SKU field to reflect the UPC, SmartScan will automatically recognize it using the interpretation progression listed in Setting Up Barcodes.
- In 3PL Warehouse Manager, navigate to Items > Manage Items and select the relevant customer.
- Select an item from the grid that is set up for GS1 scanning, then click Edit.
- Enter the assigned value in the 'UPC' field.
- If you have relevant track-by's, weight, and primary quantity configured with GS1, ensure that those fields are also complete and accurate.
- Click Save.
- Repeat Steps 2–5 for each item that needs configuration for GS1 scanning.
Once all items are configured with the appropriate UPC values, you will receive them as normal in SmartScan. When you add a new line item to a receipt and scan the relevant barcode, SmartScan interprets and populates all associated data elements. Increase the quantity if needed, then continue your receiving workflow.