If you or your customer is creating a receipt before the expected inventory has arrived at your facility, that receipt is considered to be an Advanced Shipping Notice (ASN). Once the inventory arrives at your warehouse, you can receive against the ASN to compare the items that you expect to arrive versus the items that actually arrive. If you don't receive the expected inventory or if you receive damaged products, you can also use our reporting options to forward to the sender.
This article reviews how to receive against an ASN using SmartScan.
Note that the Receive Against ASN (RAASN) functionality must be enabled on your account via Admin > Settings and turned on in each of your customer's setup options. You must also have the following permission assigned to your user role: Mobile Scanner > Mobile Receipts.
To enable this for your customers, navigate to Customers > Manage Customers and click the selection box for Receive Against ASN.
Receiving against an ASN is very similar to the standard receiving process. With the RAASN feature is enabled, once the receipt is marked as complete and ready to be verified, the 'actual quantity' data is transferred as the 'expected quantity'. This transfer of quantity data is what sets you up to receive against the ASN. To get started, use the following steps:
- Log in to SmartScan, and ensure the appropriate warehouse is selected.
- Tap the Receipts module. Note that the number displayed reflects the amount of open and complete receipts.
- Ensure the relevant customer is selected, then select the relevant receipt from the grid.
- Scan the SKU barcode and any associated track-by's to verify accuracy (or manually enter any values that need to be modified), enter the quantity received, then tap Next.
Note: If using a consumer device, you must first select a line item from the grid to verify the received SKU before you can begin scanning.
- Depending on your item setup, the following options may or may not be optional.
- If the item is placed on a movable unit (MU) that has a unique license plate assigned, scan or enter the MU label now.
- If you need the system to assign a license plate, tap the selection box next to Auto Assign ID, then select a Movable Unit Type.
- If you are receiving multiple MUs under one line item, select Split Movable Unit to split each MU into individual line items.
- Scan or enter a location.
- Tap Add.
- If you modified any of the expected values, a 'Line Mismatch' message appears and a new line item populates in the grid with a red check and no 'expected quantity'.
Note: If you only record a partial quantity when you received the full quantity of an item, you can re-select the SKU from the grid and add the remaining quantity.
- To add an additional line item to the receipt, tap Add Line and enter the relevant information.
- If using Directed Putaway, tap Update Put Away, then confirm if you want to override the current putaway location(s).
- No Override: preserves existing locations and assigns locations based on directed putaway rules to line items without a location
- Override All: assigns locations to all line items based on directed putaway rules
- Repeat Steps 3–5 for each item received.
Once you have verified and stored all items, you can confirm the receipt by tapping Finish Receipt.
- If there were variances between the expected and actually received inventory, a Receipt Variance Report opens. Review the differences to ensure they are accurate, then click Next.
- Ensure the charges are correct, then tap Confirm.
- Once confirmed, the receipt is removed from SmartScan and the associated inventory is available for order allocation.
To generate an Overage/Shortage & Damaged report, proceed to 3PL Warehouse Manager and navigate to Reports > Transactions > Overage/Shortage & Damaged.