The Carrier and Routing section of an order allows you to identify shipping information for that order, such as the carrier, the service, and the billing type. If an order was created through an import file or pre-wired integration, these details should populate based upon your predetermined connection settings.
This article reviews how to enter carrier and routing information on an order.
Carrier information is required to provide shipping details regarding which carrier is shipping an order to the designated recipient.
The carriers that auto-populate in the Carrier drop-down field are either system defaults or custom carriers that a warehouse admin user has set up under Admin > Manage Carrier Accounts. The relevant Account Number and Zip/Postal also auto-populates if you have these values defined in the customer's setup options.
To specify the carrier that is shipping the order, make a selection from the drop-down menu or select the field to manually enter a carrier's information for single use. Fill out the remaining fields as necessary.
Below is additional information for the bottom Carrier Information fields:
- Warehouse Instructions: Notes entered here are usually specific warehouse handling instructions pertinent to that transaction; these notes are printed on warehouse pick tickets
- Carrier Instructions: Notes entered here are usually specific handling instructions for the carrier; these notes are printed on the Bill of Lading and packing slip
- COD: When checked, notifies the ship-to contact and carrier that funds for delivery are due upon arrival
- Insurance: When checked, specifies that there is some sort of insurance for the freight
- Require Delivery Confirmation: When checked, indicates the carrier to provide notification when the delivery is completed
- Require Return Receipt: When checked, requires a recipient's signature upon delivery
When filled out, routing information is considered important information for the carrier and prints on delivery documentation or Bills of Lading. For LTL and FTF transactions, it is best practice to have this section completed.
Once you've entered the order's carrier and routing information, you can continue to the next section—Custom Order Info. If you'd like to come back and edit the order at a later time, don't forget to click Save!